Sunday 27 March 2016

Tumbling Into Transition


I've never been graceful. I attempted the balance beam a hundred years ago. It wasn't pretty. Thinking the floor must surely be safer I began to perfect the somersault. And,  It was working well, until one fateful gym period , I rolled, full of confidence planting firmly on  my thick blonde ponytail. Rubbing my bald spot and clutching a handful of hair, I left the gym and my promising career as a gymnast. Didn't  like those dumb gym suits anyway. SO unflattering!

Balancing the pressures of two jobs over the last year or so has not been a terribly pretty sight either. Definitely not a picnic! Increasingly, I recognized that I was wobbling precariously in thin air with one toe tentatively in the missions boat and one toe on the Public Health dock. As the missions boat drifted more purposely from the dock I heard the Lord whisper " so, how's this working for you Karen?" Ummm - not well?! I loved my job and all its attendant perks. Plus, The boat was small and tipsy and and I a novice sailor. What madness was this?

Yet, I love the Captain and his first mate and the time for departure was now. So, on February 22nd I leapt (who am I kidding.... stumbled) into the Missions boat and set sail with my first mate Don to destinations only the captain knows. I waved good-bye to my pay check and "security" and, to some onlookers, my sanity.

Centuries ago, two fisherman jumped in the opposite direction  leaving the security and comfort of their boat  as Jesus said to them  " Don't be afraid: from now on you will fish for people." So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him" Luke 5:10b and 11 ( NIV)  They trusted Him. In this transition. ..... I trust Him. 

Any transition, tumbling or otherwise,  is safe if we follow the Saviour.

Support Don and Karen's Ministry here

3 comments:

  1. You are a talented writer too Karen - God has blessed you in more ways than one! I am so enjoying your interesting blog and wish you much success and fulfillment in your new endeavour - one in which it is obvious you are well suited for! Laine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you in the boat with me. I find docks very slippery at times. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to following your blog and your ministry whether working beside you or observing from afar...Peace, Love, and Jesus!

    ReplyDelete